Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Top Five Favorite Sounds

There are certain sounds that comfort me. I've heard it said that a familiar sound can change mood or transport to a memory. That made me think... what are my top five favorite sounds?

This is what I came up with.

  • Our cat purring. My favorite time is at night, when Spot jumps on the bed, settles herself between Nut's and my pillows, half closes her eyes, and starts purring so hard she actually chirps. It always brings a sleepy smile, and the irresistable urge to bury my face in her fur, which I usually do. She just stretches out a paw, as if to say, "Go back to sleep Mommy, and I'll watch over you." I feel this because she usually has her paw on me, or rests her head on my shoulder. We may not be people of means, but when I think of her as a kitten, born in a log pile... on these cold nights, I'm glad she is content in our little domicile.


  • The soothing pitter pat of rain on the roof of our trailer. We get rain so little in this neck of the woods, that it's really a treasured novelty to have that liquid sunshine drenching our water starved earth. I like to think of our carryover winter plants spiritually cheering as they drink in what they will need to sprout this spring.


  • The gentle roar of the furnace kicking on. As I said, it's cold out at night this time of year. To conserve propane, we don't have the furnace on at night. This means that it's about 40 degrees in the trailer when we wake up. When the neighborhood roosters start their morning alarm, Nut and I climb out of bed and start the furnace. When that comforting rumble starts, we each choose a heat vent and stand over it, basking in the initial blasts of warm air. Ah...Now our day can start!


  • Stick time. Tuckie has a special bark when he's in a playful mood. It's usually when he's trying to communicate to the papa Nut that he would really enjoy some stick time outside. Now, Tuck, being half German Shepard and half Irish Setter, he definitely has his big boy voice, but there are times, when that a shrill coaxing "wooowooowooo" sound escapes him, similar to what I would imagine from a large Chihuahua. It's a whole experience, complete with submissive ears back, paw raised as if to beckon "please? stick?" and then there's that wicked tail, fiercely wagging, enticing the cat into action to attack said tail only to get swatted in the mush half the time. then when stick time commences, there's a unique screaming bark that tells the whole neighborhood, "yes I already have a stick in my mouth, but I'm going after this other one too!". I've told Tuckie so many times not to bark with his mouth full LOL... stick time rocks!


  • Nut playing his harmonica. That sound can be obnoxious to some, mainly to his brother who would wake up with early morning voicemails of Nut puffing his puffing up a storm on the harmonica, just to give the right vibe of the day. Then there's those precious moments when H will sit back in his chair and gently, soulfully play a little ditty of nothing particular. I chance a look around and realize when he's playing, The dog, cat and myself are watching him and listening to him play, contentment personified. These moments cannot be recreated. They must be treasured when they happen.

What are your favorite sounds? Please do share in the comments. Nut and I would so love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment